Few people can figure out how to work a 3D printer and even fewer people can afford one. This doesn’t mean that you have to make do without all of the fun possibilities that come along with such a product. For a more affordable and user-easy option, you can turn to a 3-D printing pen.
These are devices that allow you to create three dimensional figures simply by drawing them. Here, you will be able to find some of the best pens that are available on the market.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Best 3D Printing Pens
- 2 3DOODLER 2.0 MoMA Exclusive Red 3D Printing Pen
- 3 CreoPop Cordless 3D Printing Pen
- 4 MYNT3D Professional Printing 3D Pen
- 5 Soyan 3D Printing Pen
- 6 Excelvan 3D Doodling Pen
Best 3D Printing Pens
This is a list of all of the 3D printing pens that are affordable, simple to use, and offer you the best chance to create three dimensional figures. Regardless of what you are looking for out of such a pen, you are sure to find it here. Take a look at these detailed reviews to see which one fits the bill.
3DOODLER 2.0 MoMA Exclusive Red 3D Printing Pen
The 3DOODLER 2.0 is the improved version of the world’s first 3D printing pen. This model has sought to take its earlier features to the next level. To a great extent, it has succeeded in doing just that. The 2.0 is better than the original in all of the right ways.
It is immediately apparent just how much sleeker this new design is for the 3DOODLER 2.0. In many ways, grasping this pen is much using a traditional writing utensil. Not only does this make it a lot less cumbersome to use, it also allows you to improve your precision to a certain extent.
The other thing that has been tweaked with this version is the nozzle. It has been updated to allow for a more steady and continuous stream of plastic. This, too, makes it easier to create a particular image just the way that you want to.
At the top of the pen, there are the switches to control the temperature. Closer to the nozzle, there are two buttons to determine the flow out of the plastic out of the nozzle. This has been conveniently placed where your fingers meet around the pen. As a result, it is simple to press down on the button while drawing.
It essentially involves plugging the pen in, inserting a plastic cartridge, and waiting for the pen to heat up. This is indicated by an LED light at the top of the pen so that you are aware when the pen is ready to be used.
Another plus point for this pen is that it lets you control how much plastic is exiting the pen. The users can decide to use the ‘continuous feed’ mode where you don’t have to keep holding the extrude button. Instead, the plastic simply flows out unimpeded. This can be quite useful when you are working on larger projects and want to avoid finger strain.
If you have never used a 3D printing pen before, you will be hard pressed to find one that functions better than this. It has just enough features to make this an easy process for all.
This 3D pen is also surprisingly easy to maintain. This is mostly due to the nozzle. It can be quickly detached which allows you to clean it if it gets clogged. At the same time, inserting a thin tool into the nozzle will dislodge any hardened plastic as well.
- This special pen extrudes heated plastic that cools almost instantly into a solid, stable structure.
- 3D doodler comes with UL-listed power adapter, cleaning tool, nozzle removal tool, mini screwdriver, and spare maintenance cover.
- As well as quick start and user guides--including instructions for downloading projects and templates for novice and experienced artists to begin doodling and building right away!
- Features dual-speed control, double-click continuous-flow option, manual temperature optimization, and a sleek anodized aluminum casing
- You also get one pack each of ABS and PLA plastic strands. WARNING: Adult use only. Keep out of reach of children.
CreoPop Cordless 3D Printing Pen
In a way, the CreoPop pen can be considered the next generation in 3D printing pens. From the way that it liquefies the plastic to how it can be used, this pen is revolutionary. Despite using innovative technology, the CreoPop pen is still very affordable.
One of the great things about this 3D printing pen is that it doesn’t require a cord. This allows you to freely create whatever you want without being hindered by wires. Instead of relying on a power cord, the pen is battery operated, although with a rechargeable battery. The battery can be recharged with a USB cable which means that you can take this pen with you wherever that you go.
In terms of design, however, the CreoPop really stands out in the way that it creates these 3D images. This is because it doesn’t use melting plastic like many of the other printing pens. Rather, it utilizes light sensitive polymers instead. Therefore, it is LED lights and not heat that results in the viscous substance used to create the 3D images. One of the most important results of this is that the CreoPop pen is a lot safer for everyone to use, including children.
You can begin using the CreoPop straight away. This is because you don’t have to wait for it to heat up. As long as the pen is fully charged and has an ink cartridge, you will be able to get started. Changing out the ink cartridges is also simple to do. As a result, it is easy to use multiple colors to create the intended structure.
Not only is the CreoPop much safer to use, it also allows for continuous use. Since you don’t have to worry about any of the parts heating up, you can use it for as long as you like. What is arguably the most fun aspect of this 3D printing pen is all of the inks that CreoPop has created for its pen. There is everything from glow in the dark ink to those that you can actually use on your body as temporary tattoos. Kids, in particular, can have a lot of fun with all of the options available to them.
From start to end, the CreoPop is one of the most fun 3D printing pens that you can use, largely due to just how creative it allows you to get. The main criticism for this pen would stem from its limited features. For instance, you have to keep pressing down on the button for the polymer to exit the pen. This can be a little tiring to use.
There are few problems to anticipate with the CreoPop 3D pen. This is because of the lack of heat involved in the 3D printing process. As a result, you don’t have to worry about the various components getting degraded every time that you use the pen.
- [STARTER PACK] With Blue, Yellow and Red Cool Ink's: The Only No Hot Parts,No smell,Easy to use, Safe 3D Pen Certified by UL.
- [UNLEASH YOUR CREATIVITY] CreoPop lets you draw three-dimensional objects with ease. Just press the button and create any shapes you like. There are no hot parts so CreoPop is safe for both adults and children. Let your imagination flow. The possibilities are endless.
- [No Hot Parts or Melting Plastic] Unlike other 3D pens there are no hot parts, no melting plastics and no unpleasant smell. Instead, CreoPop uses photopolymers that are solidified using built in LEDs to let you focus on creating designs rather than being worried about burning your fingers. Changing ink takes just a few seconds.
- [Breakthrough Innovation] CreoPop lets you draw 3D objects with ease. Just press the button and create any shapes you like. The possibilities are endless.
- [No Power Cord] CreoPop is battery operated and charged through mini USB. So there is no power cord that gets in the way of creating designs.
MYNT3D Professional Printing 3D Pen
The MYNT3D is definitely one of the most customizable 3D pens on this list. Due to this, the user is allowed a greater amount of precision as they draw their images. The end result is a lot closer to what people imagine that their structures will be.
The MYNT3D printing pen looks less like a traditional writing tool than some of the other pens. It has hexagonal edges. While this may make the pen seem bulkier, it actually does serve a purpose. It allows you to get a good grip on the pencil and to draw more accurately.
The MYNT3D has plenty of features and corresponding buttons. In the middle of the pen, there is an OLED display. This lets you monitor the temperature at which the pen is operating. The two buttons next to it allow you to increase and decrease the temperature. One of the benefits of this is that you can use any thermoplastic that you want. As long as the filament is 1.75mm and melts at temperature between 130°C and 240°C, you should be able to use it with this pen.
The MYNT3D is hands down one of the best options on the market. This is because it is also one of the most customizable options as well. The temperature on this pen can be increased or decreased by 1°C with every press of the button. This allows you to decide just how thick or fluid you want the plastic to be. With this feature, you get to create the precise effect that you want. As mentioned, you can also use a wider variety of filaments which means that you don’t have to be restricted in terms of color or design.
The speed settings also have a similar function. It lets you determine how much plastic is ejected from the pen at any given time. Therefore, for outlines you can release less viscous plastic while when coloring in, you can release more. The MYNT3D does take this one step further, however. Unlike with many other pens, you can increase the speed incrementally.
The continuous mode button also helps in this venture. Instead of having to continue to press the button for long periods of time, you can simply instruct the pen to continue to let plastic pass through. This gives you greater freedom when constructing larger structures.
Maintenance for this 3D printing pen is made a lot easier because of the replaceable nozzle. Should something happen to the nozzle, you will not have to buy a new pen. The manufacturers do offer a one year limited warranty as well which will cover many of the issues that you may encounter with a 3D pen.
- Watch imagination come to life with the Professional 3D Pen
- Adjustable feed lets you regulate speed & flow for optimal control of material while you're drawing
- Temperature is adjustable in 1 degree increments from 130 to 240 C, for optimal fine-tuning
- Large, OLED display lets you monitor temperature of material to help you achieve a wide variety of effects
- Kit includes 3 colors of ABS plastic filament A/C adapter and slim, ergonomic touch pen with 1 year limited warranty
Soyan 3D Printing Pen
The Soyan 3D printing pen offers artists a little bit more versatility when creating 3D structures. This allows for more creative images to be constructed. It is especially well suited for children to use. To add to all of this, it is one of the most affordable 3D printing pens around. Almost anyone can buy it.
The Soyan pen utilizes a hexagonal design as well to offer the users a better grip while drawing. The wider shape allows smaller hands to grasp the men more easily and maneuver it around as well.
There are buttons near the nozzle as well as further along the grip. With this, the user is able to adjust the temperature of the pen as well as the speed. One of the odd things about the design of this pen is the way in which the buttons are spaced. There are placed along the grip which makes it likely that you will unintentionally press a button when you don’t mean to. Therefore, you could end up wasting a lot of time setting and resetting all of your desired options.
The extrude button is conveniently located near the nozzle so that even children can use the pen much like they would use a pencil or crayons. This makes the drawing process a lot more comfortable as a result. The pen does require a wire which can be a little annoying as you are trying to draw as it gets in the way sometimes.
Since you can adjust both the temperature as well as the speed, you can customize your creations a lot better. Both of these features give you better control over the viscous plastic being ejected out of the pen. This allows you to choose the thickness of the fluid as well as just how fast it is distributed. Due to the versatility of the pen, the structures that you make look a lot better.
The structures, once created, cool quite fast with this 3D printing pen. As a result, you can touch and move what you have made almost immediately after creating it. This also means that the structures are a lot less delicate and are unlikely to break apart.
A minor issue with this pen is the ejection process. Placing the filament into the 3D printing pen is incredibly easy. Removing it, however, can be quite taxing sometimes. You can also end up wasting a considerable amount of plastic because of this.
The manufacturer offers up excellent customer service. Therefore, as long as the warranty is valid, you should be able to get a lot of help in fixing any problem. However, there is unlikely to be any issues as all of the materials used for this 3D printing pen are very durable and heat resistant.
- The Soyan 3D printing pen is light and slim, easier to handle. You can easily control extrusion speed for smoother operation and endless creation.
- This 3D printing pen is perfect for kids: no matter creating 3D models, doodling or drawing interesting things. It can help children to improve spatial thinking ability, to encourage their creative imaginations.
- Draw vertically. Draw horizontally. Lift your imagination off the page! The 3D printing pen extrudes heated plastic which instantly hardens, allowing you to literally draw in 3D, freehand or on paper. Change colors quickly and easily. The possibilities are endless.
- Package includes: 3D printing pen, Power Adapter, Quick Start Guide, 30g ABS filament and 5 pieces template Paper.
- Note: There may be a very little filament left in the nozzle due to the inspection.
Excelvan 3D Doodling Pen
The design of the Excelvan 3D printing pen is absolutely exquisite. First of all, it weighs just 55 grams – you can barely feel it while you are holding it. This means that you will be able to use this pen for long periods of time without your hand getting tired.
Another reason that this design is quite ingenious is the curvature of the pen. it has been constructed so that your hand can mold into a comfortable position while you are using it. This provides you with a better grip and also prevents your hand from cramping up. In this way, this pen has been designed for individuals who will need to work on big or detailed projects.
The pen has a screen where you can see what temperature the pen is currently operating at. There is a button above and below this screen which allows you to adjust the temperature little by little. Since the temperature is so very adjustable, users have the opportunity to decide whether they want to use ABS plastic or PLA plastic. The temperature can be controlled between 160°C and 210°C.
This pen comes equipped with plenty of safety features. For instance, the tip of the nozzle is a lot cooler than the rest of the internal components. Therefore, even if you should accidentally brush against it, it is unlikely to burn you.
This pen has its own stand which has a suction cup at the bottom of it. This way, you can affix it to any flat surface. Therefore, if you want to take a break while drawing, you just have to place the pen in its safety holder.
It is an absolute pleasure to be able to use this 3D printing pen. This is because it contains so many features that allow you to customize the plastic in any way that you wish. First of all, you get to decide which type of plastic that you want to use. Then, you get to decide with what force the plastic will be extruded. Last but not least, you can choose whether you want the liquid to trickle out more slowly or faster.
As mentioned, this is also a very safe pen. For instance, the nozzle can sense temperature. If you don’t use the pen for more than a minute, it goes dormant. Even if you leave it lying around, you don’t have to worry about anything getting burnt.
The 3D printing pen has been well-built with plenty of durable products. As a result, you will not have to deal with any structural issues or faults in the design. Also, there are so many precautions taken with this pen that it is unlikely to have problems.
- Lighter and More Slim: the lightest 3D pen in globe, only 55g. Won't feel tired even after using a long time. Redesigned version of 3D Pen, more slim with best handle curve style for easy holding and operating.
- Digital Speed Controls for Extruding + 2 Filament Material Switch: With Excelvan 3D Pen, you can easily control extrusion speed(including 1-8 digital grades) more accurate and stable, meet your any need of speed when creating your artwork. Compatible with PLA/ABS material. PLA and ABS filament can be switched freely by the switch button.
- LED Screen for Accurate Melting Point Monitoring: Suitable temperatures for PLA filament is about 160-180 ℃, and ABS filament is about 180-210 ℃. Automatic protection: It will turn into dormant automatically, after 8 mins of continunous working, this is in order to avoid damged the pen if someone left but forget to turn off the pen. Just press any button to active it.
- Lower Temperature Nozzle Tip and 1 Minute Sleep Mode: Patented ceramic nozzle with lower temperature in tip won't hurt people. Nozzle with smart temperature sensing and heating: The pen will get into sleep mode itself after 1 minute no use. Safest 3D Pen for you and your family.
- Warm Prompt for using: Every time you finish your art work by using this pen, you need to take out the filament, and let the remaining filament come out totally, don't let the filament remain in the pen, otherwise, when next time you use the pen again, it will get stucked easily.
These are the best options that you have, if you want to buy a 3D printing pen. Each of these pens has their benefits as well as their shortcomings. Some of the pens are best suited for recreational purposes while others may be utilized for slightly more professional purposes. All in all, however, these pens are more or less equally good at producing 3D structures.
There are certain features, nonetheless, that may make it easier for each individual user to work and draw with a particular pen.
It is important to remember that to a large extent, drawing skills will impact on just how well the structures will turn out. Also, even the most user friendly 3D printing pen will require some getting used to. When choosing a 3D printing pen, you should opt for one that is well suited to your skill and comfort level. If you are not used to this type of tool, it is best to stick with more basic options in the beginning.